Do you have dreams?
Not the kind of dreams that you have when you go to sleep, no.
Do you have “DREAMS”…as in things you imagine doing?
Have you ever dreamt of:
1. Going to Paris, France?
2. Going to the Bahamas?
3. Finding your soulmate?
4. Having a beautiful, loving family?
5. Seeing the world?
6. Going to a concert?…or a ball (totally on my list)
7. Attending college?
Do you have a dream? 🙂 Probably so…or maybe not.
I actually know a lot of people who don’t have any dreams.
They just…for one reason or another, have never imagined themselves outside of their current situations. They are either very focused on making ends meet, or trying to meet Mr. Right; and it seems like a lot of the younger people just trying to find their next sexual partner, or get a job; with no vision of the future, of success, of achievement.
I hear a lot of “I’m just trying to survive Tiana” or “nobody’s got time for that Tiana” Well…I USED to hear a lot of that, but now since I currently live in one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the US, near one of the most prestigious Universities of the world, working from home as the founder and CEO of two businesses, having a hot husband, beautiful children, having worked my way through college, attended art school, as well as having worked at some of the most prestigious institutions in the world (without hookups, might I add)…I’d have to say it’s essential to take time to dream. Dreams can pave the road for your goals, which then become a road map to success.
I didn’t recount my “successes” for any pats on the back or create any dreaded Frenemies! But to say, in that “oh so cliché” way…”If I can do it, you can do it.”
If you don’t have a dream…make one; heck, take time today to let yourself dream a bit. No matter how far out, no matter how silly, no matter how unattainable they may seem. Get your phone and make a note or memo, grab a piece of paper and write:
And write a list of the things you wish to do, have, be, see, etc.
If you need some help, here’s a starter:
1. I want to graduate from….
2. I want to make $________________ per year
3. I want to have $___________ in the bank
4. I want to visit (write one or all) Africa, Europe, Asia, South America, etc
5. I want to visit (write 5 major cities across the world)
6. I want my kids to play (this instrument), play (this sport), or practice (this discipline..such as martial arts)
7. I want to play (this instrument), play (this sport), or practice (this discipline..such as martial arts)
10. I want to be well-read
11. I want to look like a well-bred, well-dressed lady
12. I want to be well spoken…and able to hold my own when talking with professionals and scholars
And maybe don’t show your dream paper to anyone, if you don’t have any supportive friends or family members. It might be tempting to share your joy and happiness, but having someone riverdance all over your newborn dreams before you’ve even begun, can be a bit soul-crushing.
Just know, I’m rooting for you 🙂 And everyone who reads this is rooting for you. You can do it. If you listen really hard, you can here us….”Carpe diem, seize the day [parents], make your lives extraordinary.”
(10 points to Gryffindor if you know what movie that quote is from; answer below).